Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Chinese Mustard Kimchi/갓김치 （“Gat Kimchi")/褐芥菜泡菜
This "갓김치( " Gat Kimchi") is from "Dol San Island" /돌산도/l突山岛, is the present received by my eldest daughter from the company.
This is the "갓김치( " Gat Kimchi"),or called it Chinese Mustard Kimchi in English and 褐芥菜泡菜 in Chinese. " Gat Kimchi" from the "Dol San Island" /돌산도/l突山岛 is the most famous in Korea. Dol San Island is in the South Jeolla Province in Korea.
South Jeolla Province, or Jeollanam-do, is a province in the southwest of South Korea.The province is only partially mountainous. The plains along the rivers Seomjin, Yeongsan and Tamjin create a large granary. There is abundant rainfall in the area, which helps agriculture. The province is also home to the warmest weather on the peninsula. This helps to produce large amounts of agricultural produce, mainly rice, wheat, barley, pulses and potatoes. Vegetables, cotton and fruits are also grown in the province. Among them,Chinese Mustard from Dol San Island is the most famous in Korea.
这是来自"Dol San Island" /돌산도/l突山岛的褐芥菜泡菜，是我大女儿收到的礼物。
在韩文称为"갓김치( " Gat Kimchi")，英文则是Chinese Mustard Kimchi。来自韩国的 "Dol San Island" /돌산도/l突山岛的褐芥菜泡菜是全国驰名的。突山岛位于韩国的全罗南道。
Brassica juncea, also known as mustard greens, Indian mustard, Chinese mustard, and leaf mustard, is a species of mustard plant. Subvarieties include southern giant curled mustard, which resembles a headless cabbage such as kale, but with a distinct horseradish-mustard flavor. It is also known as green mustard cabbage.
( source: wikipedia)
" Jeotgal"( salted seafood) play an importance role for making kimchi in Jeolla Province. Therefore, the fresh salted anchovy sauce and shrimp sauce play the main role to make delicious "갓김치 ( Gat Kimchi), to enjoy the real taste of "갓김치 ( Gat Kimchi) .If you couldn't get the fresh salted anchovy, the alternative way is to buy the anchovy sauce from the Korean supermarket in liquid form.
Chinese mustard 2 kg ( choose those fresh,long & thin stems)
green onion 200 g
coarse salt 2/3 cup
roasted sesame seeds 1 Tsp
fresh red pepper 8 pieces ( grind it )
red pepper powder 2 Cup
anchovy sauce(멸치액젓) 1/2 cup
minced garlic 1/2 cup
minced ginger 3 Tsp
glutinous rice paste 2 Cup
sugar 3 Tsp
fresh pear juice (水梨，the skin is brown in color, grind it to get the juice) 1/2 Cup
fresh onion juice 1 Cup ( grind it)
shrimp sauce 1/4 Cup
salt ( to taste)
1. Sprinkle 2/3 cup of salt in between the Chinese mustard. Please be reminded that sprinkle more on the stems instead of the leaves. Salify it for 3 hours.
2. Trim the green onion ( please don't cut or chop it ),wash it and salify it together with the Chinese mustard.
3. After 3 hours, rinse and drain the salted Chinese mustard and green onion. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, put in the glutinous rice paste, add in the red pepper powder, anchovy sauce,shrimp sauce,pear juice, onion juice,garlic,ginger,sugar and the ground fresh red pepper and a little salt ( please taste it). Mix all the mixture well.
5. Rub the spicy sauce from no (4) between the Chinese mustard and the green onion
too. Finally, sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds.
6. Put the seasoned Chinese mustard & green onion in the container.
7. Leave at the room temperature for 1 day in summer & in autumn for 1-2 days, or until it begins to ferment before storing in the refrigerator. Taste it one week later whether it is well fermented or not. For this "갓김치( " Gat Kimchi"), it must be thoroughly and well fermented, otherwise, it is not delicious.
"갓김치 ( Gat Kimchi) "is originally from the Jeolla Province.
" Jeotgal"( salted seafood) play an importance role for making kimchi in Jeolla Province. Therefore, the fresh salted anchovy sauce and shrimp sauce play the main role to make delicious "갓김치 ( Gat Kimchi), to really enjoy the real taste of "갓김치 ( Gat Kimchi) ".If you couldn't get the fresh salted anchovy, the alternative way is to buy the anchovy sauce from the Korean supermarket in liquid form.